When Gertrude Stein made her famous quote – “There is no there there” in reference to Oakland, it was grossly misunderstood. Although Ms. Stein grew up in Oakland, her famous quote referred to the fact that after returning to Oakland after thirty years in Paris she came back to find her house was no longer there, her school was no longer there, her park was no longer there, her synagogue was no longer there. So for her, there was no longer a there there.
Those of us who love our Oakland know that there is definitely alot there. Included on the list of things we love about this City is its mahvelous thrifts! I’ll be adding more as time permits! Click on a link below to find out more about each one.
- Goodwill Fruitvale District
- Temescal Community Foundation Thrift Store-CLOSED 2017
- Alta Bates Showcase Thrift Store – CLOSED in 2014
- American Cancer Society, Discovery Shop
- Bambino Thrift Shop
- Clausen House–CLOSED IN 2014
- Dress Best For Less / CLOSED!
- Goodwill Downtown
- Habitat for Humanity Restore
- Out of the Closet, Oakland
- Salvation Army
- St. Vincent de Paul
- The Reuse People